}

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

AAA-14 - Answer 2 – The places I’ve been


Today’s question is from Roger Green, who said: “OK, for starters, I want you to do the map thing I just did.”

This is actually something I took a stab nearly two years ago, but this version (map above – click to embiggen) is more detailed and precise than the old one was and so, I think, more accurate.

There are two versions of the map available, one for the USA only and another version for the USA and Canada. You generate the map after you colour the states and provinces according to these criteria:

  • red for states where you've not spent much time or seen very much.
  • amber for states where you've at least slept and seen some sights.
  • blue for states you've spent a lot of time in or seen a fair amount of.
  • green for states you've spent a great deal of time in on multiple visits.

This was actually harder to do than it might seem, especially trying to determine which colour is most appropriate. For example, I think I’ve sent the night in Indiana, but I’m not sure. However, I went to Indianapolis for meetings several times when I was an activist, and I’ve driven through it many times to get to other states. So, even if I haven’t spent the night there, I’ve visited the state enough that it ought to be “amber”, anyway, I think.

Similarly, I’ve only visited San Francisco/Napa Valley and Los Angeles in California, but they were over two trips, each of which were several days long. So, I gave it blue. I also spent several nights near Atlanta, Georgia, on a single trip, but didn’t actually see that much of the state or city, so, on balance I left it amber.

South Dakota is blue thanks to a family trip in 1968, which took in the Black Hills and the Badlands, and points near each, before heading south to Denver to visit family. I think we may have stopped for the night at a campground in Kansas or Nebraska that trip, too, but I’m not sure.

The other blue states: We camped in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan when I was a kid, and friends and I stayed in St. Joseph when we were in university. I’ve also driven through it with my family to get to Ontario in 1970. New York was only New York City, but was two trips each lasting several days (and there’s a fair bit to see and do in New York City…). Pennsylvania was visiting family on multiple trips (Virginia was one trip visiting family and other, briefer trips), as well as some sightseeing on other parts of the state.

Ohio was an interesting state for me. I visited Columbus, Cleveland and Cincinnati when I was an activist, and stayed in each city (the Cincinnati trip I stayed across the river in Kentucky). An ex boyfriend was from the Toledo area, so we visited there several times. And, my parents and I had stopped for the night at a motel in Montpelier, Ohio, right near the Interstate, on August 8, 1974—the night Richard Nixon announced he was resigning the presidency.

The green states are obvious: Illinois, where I was born, grew up and lived until I left for New Zealand. My family and I went camping in Wisconsin many times over many years, and I’ve stayed in Milwaukee and Door County. An ex boyfriend was from Kenosha, so we spent several nights there (including some I alluded to yesterday), and they kindly showed me the sights in the area, including the outside of the Johnson Wax Headquarters building in nearby Racine, Wisconsin.

As for Canada, my family and I visited lower Ontario in the summer of 1970, over about a week, maybe. The only place I’ve been to in Quebec is Montreal, and for a weekend, but I saw the sights. Of the two, Ontario might arguably be blue, but I didn't colour it that way because I’ve only been to lower Ontario.

And those are the places I’ve been, USA/Canada version.

It’s not too late to ask a question! Leave a comment to this post, or send an email to me (click the link in the right hand sidebar).

No comments: