}

Friday, November 16, 2018

A strategy update

I probably wouldn’t ordinarily update my Healthcare Journey only two weeks after the last one, but maybe it’s a good idea to do that sometimes. Helps me remember what’s actually happening, as well as talking about the small stuff that sometimes gets missed.

Two weeks ago today, I started the half dosage of my statin, atorvastatin, and the full dosage of cilazapril. I was sick at the time, and that eventually passed. Two weeks later, I’m in a better position to judge how it’s going.

I think that, on the whole, things seem to be better: I feel a bit sharper mentally and a little less tired, and that’s good. However, I also find that I need much more sleep: Nine or ten hours per day over the past week-ish. Maybe recovery and adjustment are taking longer than I’d hoped, but I’m sick of feeling like this.

Meanwhile, my ankle was finally pretty much better, then yesterday it was a little sore, which isn’t unusual. I was getting ready to stand up and somehow managed to hit my ankle hard on the footstool in from of my chair. The pain was incredible, and unlike what would happen for an ordinary knock, it didn’t subside quickly, but kept going.

What was weird is that I didn’t have any trouble walking afterward because of pain, but there was still pain I could feel. Today was a little better, however, I can’t walk uphill because that requires my heel to be lower than my toes, and my ankle won’t bend that way without pain.

So, the tiredness, need for extra sleep, and my inability to walk properly or well has left me feeling old, for lack of a better word. I still hope that things will get better over time, and at the moment, on the whole, things seem to be better. I just want to get back to where I was in 2016. We’ll see.

This isn’t exactly a cheery update, since things aren’t where I want them to be, but it is honest. It’s also not bad as much as not as good as I’d hoped. Maybe in my next update everything will be better. Stay tuned.

Important note: This post is about my own personal health journey. My experiences are my own, and shouldn’t be taken as indicative for anyone else. Similarly, other people may have completely different reactions to the same medications I take—better or worse. I share my experiences because others may have the same or similar experiences, and I want them to know that they’re not alone. But, as always, discuss your situation and how you’re feeling openly, honestly, and clearly with your own doctor, and always feel free to seek a second opinion from another doctor.

No comments: