}

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Sequels


Recently, I saw the trailer for Star Wars: Episode VII – The Force Awakens (above), which looks pretty good to me. I also saw the trailer for Jurassic World (below). I’m VERY meh about that one.

I liked most of the Star Wars movies, apart from Phantom Menace, which I pretty much loathed, and Return of the Jedi, which was pretty silly, but not nearly as bad as Phantom Menace. To me, this new one looks more like what was good about the original three (the first two in particular). I think I’d like to see this one at the movies.

Jurassic World, on the other hand, looks like the same movie we’ve already seen several times. I enjoyed the original Jurassic Park, but all the others seemed like basically the same movie repeated. This one looks no different: It all starts out all right, but scientists get arrogant/careless and the results are people running, being chased and then eaten by dinosaurs. I think this is probably one I can wait for until it comes on pay TV.

Sequels can be fun, even when it’s just because they’re laughably bad. In the case of these two movies, the first looks promising to me, the second doesn’t. I’ll find out eventually.

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens opens in New Zealand on Thursday, December 17, 2015. Jurassic World opens in New Zealand on Thursday, June 11, 2015.

3 comments:

Jason Peaco said...

I have to say a chill went down my spine when I saw the preview for Star Wars. I'm thinking of seeing the first show on the first day (sound familiar). I hope it will play at the Uptown in DC. It has the largest screen around. As to Jurassic. Been there done that.

Arthur (AmeriNZ) said...

I'll be busy when "Star Wars" opens, and, in fact, it may be several days or longer before I'll be able to go see it. The good thing is that I don't mind that. The other one I don't really care if I'm busy or not.

Arthur (AmeriNZ) said...

I'm pretty sure I have my ticket stub from that first showing somewhere…