}

Friday, November 18, 2022

AAA 2022: A decade-long inquisition

Here we are again—and it's a decade of asking. Ten years ago, in 2012, I began an annual year-end series of “Ask Arthur” posts (I also had two July series, but abandoned that idea). I skipped 2019 because I was “a bit absorbed by other things going on at that time”, as I put it last year.

The “Ask Arthur” series of posts is a chance for people to ask me nearly anything, and I try to answer whatever I’m asked. I’ve never had a question about a topic that was “off limits”, however, I’ve always said that if I couldn’t answer a question for any reason, I’d say so. It turned out that I've never had a question that I wouldn’t answer. It also turned out that I haven’t yet met a topic I don’t have an opinion on. Who’d have guessed that?

Over this ten-year series, I’ve been asked about myself, my past, about life in New Zealand—mine or in general—about being an expat, and what I think about various topics or events in the news. The possibilities are nearly endless.

To ask questions, simply leave a comment on this post (anonymous comments are allowed). Or, you can email me your question (and you can even tell me to keep your name secret, although, why not pick a nom du question?). You can also ask questions on the AmeriNZ Facebook page, though keep in mind that all Facebook Pages are public, just like this blog. To avoid being public there, you can send me a private message through the AmeriNZ Facebook Page.

Finally, as I always note, this idea is stolen from inspired by Roger Green’s “Ask Roger Anything” (“ARA”) posts. After all, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Or, something like that.

So, over to you: Ask your question whatever way works best for you, and I’ll do my best to answer.

All posts in this series will be tagged “AAA-22”. All previous posts from every “Ask Arthur” series are tagged, appropriately enough, ”Ask Arthur”.

Previously:

What do you want to know? (December 2012)
Ask Arthur (July 2013)
Ask Arthur – Again (December 2013)
Ask Arthur Again, again (December 2014)
Ask Arthur yet again (July 2015)
It’s that time again (December 2015)
It’s ‘Ask Arthur’ time again (December 2016)
Let the 2017 asking begin (November 2017)
Let the 2018 asking begin (November 2018)
There was no “Ask Arthur” series in 2019.
Sure, why not ask again? (December 2020) Yes, ask again (November 2021)

4 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

I'm afraid I can never think of anything to ask you.
If I did, I might ask you what you think is the legacy of Nancy Pelosi's tenure as Speaker and minority leader?
Or what kind of Speaker will Kevin McCarthy be? Will he be able to keep the "Freedom Caucus" in check?
Or will anything get done in the federal govt in the next two years, or will we fuss over the debt limit and federal budget twice a year?

Oh, are you familiar with the Death Cafe? If so, what do you think of the premise? Have you ever attended one in person or online?

I'm sorry I can't think of anything right now. If something comes to mind, I'll let you know.

Arthur Schenck said...

I look forward to seeing if you can come up with any!

Roger Owen Green said...

Ooo, I got one. Please explain (again) how an instant runoff voting scenario would work v. first past the post. If you want to, use the GA runoff as an example of a wasteful govt expenditure, IMO.

Roger Owen Green said...

How, if at all, does Sinema becoming an independent change the Senate operations? How does it affect her running for reelection in 2024?
Will Manchin follow suit?