}

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

BlogsNow not now

Blog link tracking site BlogsNow has stopped in its tracks. The site’s creator, Andreas Wacker, says:
BlogsNow has been turned off. Recently the ratio of spam- vs. real blogs has shifted even further. In order for BlogsNow to continue to create meaningful results I would have to add signifcantly more code for spam detection. I decided not to do this right now. Sorry.
This is a real shame as it often turned up interesting linked-to things that I otherwise wouldn’t have seen. AmeriNZ ended up listed a few times, including, memorably, this time.

There are other ways of seeing what’s popular among bloggers. Technorati is among the best known of these, but it’s tracking of links isn’t perfect. Nothing is, I suppose. Still, I liked BlogsNow’s straightforward, simple approach and I hope one day it will be back.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind words.

Anonymous said...

I agree. I preferred Blogsnow over Technorati. A shame it is closing down. There was occasional spam, but not at a disturbing level.

Arthur Schenck said...

@Andreas - No worries. You had a good and interesting thing there -- I hope you can bring it back one day.

@ Luc - Yes, it is a shame. I also agree with you that there wasn't a bad amount of spam on BlogsNow. I usually spotted those few bits of spam pretty quickly, something I don't always do as successfully elsewhere.