}

Wednesday, December 26, 2018

The Queen’s Christmas Broadcast 2018


It’s Boxing Day in New Zealand, and Christmas Day in the United Kingdom, so the Queen’s Christmas Broadcast to The Commonwealth is now available on YouTube, so that means I can share it, making anyone qho sees this post a sort of honourary citizen of the Commonwealth.

The British Monarchy fascinates many Americans, including me, mainly even if many New Zealanders are fairly indifferent overall, and especially so to the Queen’s Christmas Broadcast. Since arriving in New Zealand in 1995, I’ve (nearly) always watched and was interested in the broadcast, mainly because of the long tradition behind it. Still, it’s pretty much like anything else, really: Those who are interested in the broadcast can be, and anyone who isn’t can ignore it.

It may have been my imagination, but it seemed to me there was less of an emphasis on overt religiosity this year, though it was still there, of course: The Queen is head of the Church of England, and by all accounts religious herself, so that makes sense. It just seemed to me that she placed more emphasis on family than anything else. Or maybe I’ve just gotten better at tuning out the religious bits.

In any event, those who are interested can watch the broadcast and draw their own conclusions, whole those who aren’t interested can ignore it. It’s pretty much like anything else, really.

Related: "How the tradition of Queen Elizabeth II's annual Christmas speech began"Washington Post via Stuff.

Previously:
The Queen’s Christmas Broadcast 2017 (and 1957, too…)
The Queen’s Christmas Broadcast 2016
The Queen’s Christmas Broadcast 2015

Previous years’ broadcasts are no longer available.

2 comments:

Arthur Schenck (AmeriNZ) said...

I noticed that. It was an odd third person sentence construction, I thought.

rogerogreen said...

I thought it was religious enough. And she managed to work in her eldest son's bday without mentioning him by name.