}

Friday, October 30, 2020

Memories of impending memories

Today Facebook served up yet another "Memory" (image above), one that I knew was coming, of course. In fact, I talked about it when another "Memory" popped up back in September. The thing is, what all this refers to is, in fact, a happy memory, but, obviously, tinged with sadness. Then, two days later, there's another one.

What I said today on Facebook sums up what I'm thinking/feeling:
The anniversary tomorrow, and another very important anniversary two days later, makes me sad. I knew this would happen, of course, so I was “prepared” to feel bad over the next few days, but, knowing a bad patch is coming never makes it any easier to get through. I knew that, too.

Most people won’t say that they’re going through a bad patch like I just did. Here’s something you can do to help: If someone pisses you off over the next few days, please take a moment to think about how they may be going through a really bad patch. Even if you’re wrong, kindness to others is always the right thing to do, but if you’re right, it could make a huge difference to someone in pain.
This past Saturday, a week before the anniversary of the day we got married, I shared another "Memory" on my personal Facebook (image below), I didn't share it here, though I'd planned to, mainly because I was a bit preoccupied by my change in prescription, mainly because I didn't feel well that day because of it. But the fact that seven years ago I posted three different times about us getting married is a small indicator of how excited I was at the time. It's also a reason why I'm so sad about the anniversary now.

The next few days won't be good or easy, but: One day at a time. That's been my mantra for more than 13 months now, and for good reason—it works. But I'd so much rather go back to that one day…


2 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

anniversaries are odd things. I still remember birthdays and wedding dates of exes, and i'm not looking to even try.
and of course, my parents' birthdays and death dates and anniversary.

Arthur Schenck said...

I'm the opposite: I have trouble remembering dates. As a matter of fact, Nigel was frightened I'd forget when his birthday was when I had my interview for Permanent Residence, which was important because I needed to be able to tell the immigration people. I did, and I did, but I always had to stop and think about it. Blogging actually helped me remember certain dates because I blogged about them each year, but only a bit.