}

Friday, July 27, 2018

Once more unto the breach

The winter yuckiness of a couple weeks ago finally ended, but it has been replaced by a new affliction, a bad winter cold. That now seems to be ending, too, but not without a fight, or a return to the remedies I mentioned in the previous post.

I’m pretty sure that I caught the virus at a family party we attended this past Saturday. Though I wasn’t aware of anyone with sniffles at the time, it was the only place I was around a group of people before the symptoms appeared, and there were several germ factories (also called “children” by some) there, too. So, it’s a logical conclusion.

I first had symptoms on Monday night, when I felt feverish, extremely tired (even for the middle of the night). The next day, I felt awful, had some sneezing and popped paracetamol. Wednesday was more of the same, but with sneezing fits and coughing fits. Yesterday was still more of the same. Today, was just coughing—and pretty bad. I didn’t need any paracetamol today, but I had to use Carmex for the first time since the last illness.

This has been a particularly bad cold, as such things go, but they’re short-duration, which is kind of the point, really. No matter how bad we feel, it will end in a few days. But these colds always make me think about how awful it would be to have a chronic or very serious illness. It makes me re-resolve to get the influenza vaccination every year, since it’s one of the few serious diseases we can prevent.

Still, I felt so bad that I didn’t feel like blogging, though I did try (I just didn’t finish anything). My voice was so hopeless that I had to postpone recording a podcast, which I was otherwise all set for and had time to do. Best laid plans, and all that.

I hope I’ve turned the corner, especially because that coughing fit tonight was diabolical. And, hopefully this is the last affliction of the season. More importantly, I hope this is the worst sort of thing I’ll experience. Don’t we all hope that?

The title if this post comes from Shakespeare’s Henry V, act 3, scene 1: “Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more…”

The products and/or names used or depicted are all registered trademarks, and are used here for purposes of description and clarity. No company or entity provided any support or payment for this blog post, and all products were purchased by me at normal retail prices. So, the opinions I expressed are my own genuinely held opinions, and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the manufacturers, any retailer, or any known human being, alive or dead, real or corporate. Just so we’re clear.

2 comments:

rogerogreen said...

Ah, evil children!

Arthur Schenck (AmeriNZ) said...

Yes. The plague carriers!