}

Monday, November 30, 2015

100 Years of Fashion in less than 3 minutes


I first saw the video above back in July, and meant to share it at the time, but it fell through the virtual cracks. It turns out, there was another version (below) that I only found out about tonight. Both show fashion over the past 100 years in less than three minutes, and I think they’re both fascinating.

I saw the men’s fashion video on gay blog JoeMyGod (which shared it for what I imagine are somewhat obvious reasons…). This probably explains why I didn’t know there was one on women’s fashion, too—or that it was released a month earlier. I only found it because I went and checked to make sure the men’s video was still online. Never too late, I suppose.

Both videos use the same technique: A model is dressed by folks to show the fashions of every decade from 1915 to 2015 (and can we all agree that fashion in the mid-1970s and 1980s was hideous?!). To me, one difference was that the fashions chosen for the woman seemed to be for a somewhat older person than what was chosen for the man, but that could just be my impression.

At any rate, I think it’s interesting to see the fashions “evolve” in this way. I’ve looked at vintage fashion photos before, but there’s something about this approach that makes it seem more real and relatable.

And, it’s all a bit of fun, really.

No comments: