}

Sunday, August 24, 2008

I met Joe Biden

A very, very long time ago, I met Joe Biden.

It was at Southern Illinois University at Carbondale, where I was a student. He met with interested students in a small area of the Student Center. And that’s about all I can tell you about it.

I don’t even remember exactly when it was, but I think he was still a new US Senator. An announcement of the meeting was made in one of my political science classes, and I thought I might as well go because how many times do you get to have a sit-down with a Senator?

I don’t think there were more than four of us, maybe six. We sat on the sofas and chairs (I seem to remember that I was sitting on the same sofa as Biden). But I have no idea what he talked about since, after all, this all happened nearly 30 years ago. I think I remember that he seemed tired, and that he did all of the talking (well, politicians do that…).

In 1980, I also met George Bush the first when the older Bush was running for president against Reagan and others. And, of course, I was later in the same room with Bush 1 when he was president, but that’s another story.

For now, I just like knowing that I’ve met two men before they became Vice President.

3 comments:

d said...

I don't know anything about him..hoping he turns out to be a good choice!

Roger Owen Green said...

I met a future Vice-President, twice: Nelson Rockefeller, when he was governor of New York. Once was just shaking his hand at a bridge dedication in Binghamton, but the other time was at the Governor's Conference on Children and Youth that I attended in Albany as a representative of my high school. First tiime I ever flew.

Arthur Schenck said...

D: I'll be talking more about that on an upcoming podcast.

Roger: Good grief! I wonder how many people even remember Nelson Rockefeller? Mind you, I actually liked him back in the day. I don't think we'll see anyone like him in the Republican Party again.