}

Saturday, December 04, 2021

Prescribing changes

Sometimes, a solution to a problem will simply fall into our laps. Back in June, I wrote about the problems I was having with a very simple thing: Finding the right pharmacy. For now, at least, I have a solution.

The first problem was that I wanted an easily accessible pharmacy, meaning, close to my house and open seven days. That’s because I have to go every month to pick up a refill of one prescription drug (the others each come with three-month supply; this has to do with the way theone drug’s funded by the government’s Pharmaceutical Management Agency, better known as Pharmac). As I said in June, that wasn’t as easy as it should have been.

When Lockdown re-arrived in August, I had my GP send the prescription to the chemist I used to go to, near the GP practice. What I forgot is that under Level 4, as we were at the time, they dispensed prescriptions for one month at a time. I had to go back there two more times—exactly what I was trying to avoid.

Last month, it was getting to be time to renew my prescriptions, and I was debating about where to have my GP send the order. I was leaning toward the pharmacy at the local Countdown supermarket, but the truth is, I don’t really like it.

Then, at nearly the last possible moment, I got an email from a store I’d ordered stuff from online. The email was to tell me that the store’s parent company, The Warehouse Group, had invested in a NZ online pharmacy called ZOOM Pharmacy. What drew me to them (apart from the fact they’re New Zealand-owned) was they they delivered the refills. Like the two Australian chains I considered, they don’t charge the usual $5 per prescription, but there was something else: Anyone like me getting four or more different prescription drugs got free delivery and could have them prepared in pouches, one day’s pills per pouch (if one has to take pills at different times, then all the pills for each time are put in different pouches; mine are once a day).

I decided to try the pharmacy, as I mentioned briefly last month, and with a little effort, I managed to use my doctor’s portal to request the prescription be sent to ZOOM, which they did. Then I had to speak with a pharmacist at ZOOM who verified my address, that the medications ordered were correct, and then he offered to answer any questions I might have.

It turns out that a couple weeks after the first order, they send out a text alerting people that their next order will soon be shipped and to let them know if anything’s changed. I received that text yesterday. I don’t have to do anything—the pills come to me, and completely for free, and they’ll email me a tracking number so I can check to see how far away the order is.

I knew that not having to deal with picking up a monthly refill of one medication would save me time and effort, but having it sent to me automatically would be better still. Better still, because of those pouches, I no longer have to count out all my pills once a week, and that saves me time, too. So far, it’s worked great.

I had a few issues at first, especially that the pouch in the photo up top [Note: The photo may be missing due to a problem with Google's Blogger – the issue is now resolved]. It was from day 2, and when I tore off the pouch for that day, I accidentality tore off a bit of the bottom of the Day 3 pouch (the little bit of plastic at the top of the pouch in the photo). I couldn’t tell if I’d made a little hole in the bottom of the Day 3 pouch, and because I didn’t want to take any chances (one pill has to be kept dry), I took Day 3’s pills on Day 2, then Day 2’s on Day 3. Crisis averted. Since then, I learned that if I tear the pouch down, not up, the problem doesn’t happen.

This has turned out to be a really good solution so far—and I’m definitely glad I waited a little longer to choose a pharmacy for my prescription to be sent to. I wish more companies did as gooda job—heck, even half as good.

Meanwhile, in that Health Journey update post last month, I also said I’d stop taking the diuretic I was on, bendroflumethiazide. I weaned myself off of it and stopped altogether a couple weeks ago. I think there are signs of the improvement I hoped for.

It’s important to repeat what I said last month, that “I know from experience that it often can take a long time for me to adjust to new prescriptions”, and that’s also true for stopping medications, too. That means that it’s early days yet, and things may not yet be settled, however, there’s definitely one important change: I no longer have the urgency to run to pee, and I don’t have to get up in the night to go pee, either. This is truly awesome.

For the first week or so after I stopped, I didn’t notice much difference with those headrushes, the weird unwell spells, or the fatigue. However, they all definitely seem better now, although the last one is the least changed (mainly, I just don’t feel as sleepy in the daytime, but I’m still tired all the time).

All of which means that things have become better since my Health Journey update last month. I (cautiously) think I’m feeling better than a month ago, although I can definitely say that the waterworks are now lightyears better. I’m also very happy with the pharmacy choice I made.

I’ve been dealing with this long enough to know that everything could still change—for the better or for worse. Right now, it’s a case of “so far, so good”, and after everything I’ve gone through over the past five years, I honestly feel that’s good enough. For now.

Important notes: This is about my own personal health journey. My experiences are my own, and shouldn’t be taken as indicative for anyone else. Similarly, other people may have completely different reactions to the same medications I take—better or worse. I share my experiences because others may have the same or similar experiences, and I want them to know that they’re not alone. But, as always, discuss your situation and how you’re feeling openly, honestly, and clearly with your own doctor, and always feel free to seek a second opinion from another doctor.

Also: The names of brands/products/companies listed in this post are all registered trademarks, and are used here for purposes of description and clarity. No company or entity provided any support or payment for this blog post, and all products/services were purchased by me, if applicable, at normal consumer prices. So, the opinions I expressed are my own genuinely held opinions, and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the manufacturers, any retailer, or any known human being, alive or dead, real or corporate. Just so we’re clear.

2 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

Yes, there's no pic. just a minus sign. "Prescribing changes" - this is the point where somebody says, "I see what you did there." IDK who'll say that to you, but someone ought to.

Arthur Schenck said...

LOL, I probably said that to myself.

I deleted and placed the photo again today, and it worked fine. So, whatever the problem was with Blogger seems to have been fixed or it resolved itself.