}

Monday, July 27, 2009

End of the beginning?

I fervently hope that we’ve witnessed the beginning of the end of the career of Governor Quitter (Sarah Palin), but it’s probably just the end of the beginning—for now. Sarah Palin has no depth, no intelligence, nothing to offer and it’s inevitable that her worshippers will get sick of her, though I doubt she has enough self-awareness to know that.

In one way, it’s too bad she’s so utterly useless: If she paraded her lunatic ideas around the country, and then succeeded in causing a split in the Republican Party, it would be easier to beat the party in 2010 and 2012. That would be a good thing for one reason in particular: It could lead to realignment on the right, with the truly crazy people on one side, the somewhat more rational conservatives on the other. America cannot succeed with the constant threat that the crazy end of the right is always within potential reåach of power, and Governor Quitter could, theoretically, help end that.


But, more than likely, Governor Quitter will be gone soon, and when she is, probably no one will even notice.

3 comments:

Nik said...

I'm still astounded how much press this woman -- the LOSER in the election, remember -- gets. But she makes good copy, I suppose. I can't stand to listen to her speak, but y'know, in every single account of her talks I've read, I've seen cliches and attacks galore but I can't recall hearing one single policy detail or thing she'd actually DO as president. She's the "American Idol" candidate.

Jason in DC said...

Wow if she is the American Idol candidate where Simon Cowell when you need him.

As for the notion that there are more rational conservative out there, I just don't see it. I don't see it at all. They've all become conservative Democrats.

The Republicans are now owned lock, stock and barrel by the far right. There is no more moderate GOP.

Arthur Schenck said...

"Aerican Idol" candidate—love it! But the problem is that so far we've only been hearing from Paula and Randy and what's-her-name. When the Simons are the ones talking, she'll be gone.

I think that the rational Conservatives are, mainly, Democrats, but I'd also count some self-described non-Democrat, non-Republican libertarians in that mix.

What I was getting at is that if Republicans can't become a real party again, and a credible opposition, if they can't be more than a collection of theocrats and radical nutjobs, the alternative is for the Democrats to do both jobs, and that doesn't can't be a good thing.