}

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Stop fighting, children!

When this US primary campaign started, it seemed there was no way in hell that anyone but the Democratic nominee could win the presidency, so discredited was the current Republican regime and the party generally. But like Democrats love to do, they're positioning themselves to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Again.

I don't need to remind anyone that this happened in 2004, when certain Democratic victory turned into defeat despite rapidly increasing disenchantment with Bush and his regime. Of course, much of the blame for that goes to Republican vote fraud, voter intimidation, dirty tricks, lies and smears. But they couldn't have pulled it off without Democratic help.

So now we have Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton sniping at each other like spoiled brats, completely disregarding that the most important thing is electing a Democrat as president in November. I keep waiting for a big parental Democrat to tell both of them, “I don't care who started it, I'm stopping it! But that won't happen.

If this childish pettiness continues, Clinton and Obama will ensure that a Republican is elected in November. They'd then change the meaning of their “historic” candidacies to ones associated with stupidity—and selfishness—of epic proportions.

So if I could, I'd say one thing to both Barack and Hillary: Grow up! And get over yourselves, too, because you don't matter—restoring constitutional democracy does. If you can't do that, then get out of the way of Democrats who who are committed to giving Americans their country back.

5 comments:

Fairy Princess Holly said...

Well said!

Jason in DC said...

One must remember after all that this is the Democratic party. And if it is at all possible to screw things up they will.

d said...

Ugh, I completely agree! I have a recurring nightmare that McCain is elected. :-P

I used to like McCain, back when he was pretending to be 'moderate'. i think he has sold his soul to the right-winged devil, though.

Rebel Yankee said...

Well, to be blunt, their fighting hasn't even been as bad as some in our history (I forget who was called a hermaphrodite...JQ Adams, maybe) but it's not helpful, especially when we're so close to overturning that nasty Republican clusterfuck currently usurping power in the country.

But, while no one ever thought it was a serious option, the scuttlebutt these days is that Obama or Clinton will feel fairly compelled to select the other as their running mate for the presidency just to heal the wounds and use the other in the campaign.

Arthur Schenck said...

Holly: Thanks! I have to admit, this one came from annoyance.

Jason: I think that the Democrats don't have the kind of unifying and motivating issues that the right wing nutjobs in the Republican Party do, which is fine with me. But if they don't put aside their petty differences, then those nutjobs will win. Again.

Dawn: I never liked McCain, but I agree that now it certainly looks like he's been pandering to the far right fringes. I have to admit there's one thing--and only one--that I like about him, something that makes him unique among the Repubs: He's opposed to torture.

Eric: You're right, this sniping isn't the worst there's been, and you're also right that it's not helpful. I go farther, though, and say if it doesn't stop it'll hand the election to the Republicans on a silver platter.

I still have a tough time believing that Hillary and Barack can make up enough to run on the same ticket. Still, the race for the nomination is far from over, so who knows? Stranger things have happened, like Bush getting installed as president twice.