}

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Peep Hole Magazine

I’ve been too busy to mention this before, but what the hell was People Magazine thinking?

In an online article reporting that
Lance Bass and Reichen Lehmkuhl have ended their relationship (yawn!), was this:

“Bass, 27, first revealed his relationship with Lehmkuhl, 32, when he admitted (emphasis added) he was gay on the cover of PEOPLE in July.”

Admitted? Excuse me? This is the twenty-first century you morons, we don’t have to “admit” anything. Joe.My.God (who provided the link) sums it up:

“We shouldn't have to tell you this in 2006, but instead of ‘admitted’, try one of these: disclosed, confirmed, revealed, declared. And stay the fuck away from ‘confessed.’

I couldn’t agree more. Back when I was an activist, we constantly had to remind journalists that their choice of words often carried multiple meanings. Some things haven’t changed,

2 comments:

Kalv1n said...

I couldn't agree more. And why are you no longer an activist?

Arthur Schenck said...

It's a long story (clearly my favourite kind...). Maybe I should post about it. Basically, I got tired of it and then moved to New Zealand where gay activism wasn't necessary. I did a little election volunteering here, but nothing too involved.