}

Saturday, February 13, 2021

Two years before the two years

The Facebook Memory at left is about a stop we made at the edge of the Manukau Harbour in Auckland four years ago today. This photo is from what was a bit of a secret mission because the "errand" I mentioned was that we were at Clarks Beach doing a walk through of the house we'd just bought, the last one that Nigel and I shared. For reasons I still don't really understand, I didn't talk about the move in advance, however, I know that part of the reason was that Clarks Beach is a very small settlement, so I was a little worried it'd be too easy to find us, since my Instagram and blog are both public (I was trying to protect us both, but especially Nigel because there are some very dangerous people who use the Internet to do harm to others).

We were there because we had a list of things we wanted to check before settlement, including a couple just for our own information (such as, where the hot water heater and fusebox were). We also noted a couple very minor things that needed to fixed before settlement. Settlement was on February 24, and we moved in the next day.

This particular photo was taken at my favourite (if that's the right word) beach access, not far from our house. I never actually went to the one closest to our house, one that was only accessible on foot. That was one of those things I meant to get to, but we ran out of time.

The photo below was taken at the same time (I turned to my right), and I shared it in a blog post that day where I talked about harbours, but, of course, not the reason I was there to take the photos. Even so, I foreshadowed what I thought would be a lot of photos at the harbour’s edge: “As I start to get around the outer reaches of Auckland a bit more, though, I’ll share more photos. Today is just the start of that.” It sort of was, at least a little bit.

Still, I've always liked the photo in that memory, which is reason enough to share it.


In addition to the 2017 post I linked to, the photo up top can also be seen on my Instagram account.

No comments: