}

Friday, May 02, 2008

AmeriNZ 86 – Arthur Returns


Episode 86 is now available, and it's free no matter where you get it from. You can listen to it or download it through the player at the bottom of the post here, or subscribe for free through iTunes here (you must have the free iTunes player installed). You can also listen to it for free through the player on my MySpace page.

I’m finally back, and I start out telling you why this was so delayed. It’s actually a meander through my life recently. I’m going to be more relaxed about my podcasting schedule.

A listener email then lets me compare petrol prices in Australia, the US and New Zealand. Some of you don’t know how lucky you are. Then it’s on to comments, and especially some voice messages that piled up.

I’m planning on doing an episode soon specifically about moving to New Zealand. If there are things you’d like to know, or like others to know, just send me an email or ring the listener line.

Leave a comment. Or, you can ring my US listener line on 206-339-8413. Email me (won’t be read on the podcast) at arthur{at)amerinz.com. You can also still use my other address, amerinz[at) yahoo.com.

Running time: 29:29 (27.1 MB)

Links for this episode

AmeriNZ #55 - Being an expat


Get AmeriNZ Podcast for free on iTunes

6 comments:

Ryan said...

Listening to your episode now...missed ya!!!! SO did you like Catch and Release? I didn't at first but actually fell in love with the movie... my bf doesn't like it... just wondering what you guys thought...

Roger Owen Green said...

Re: gas tax - it's part of the US political conversation, with McCain & Clinton in favor and Obama opposed, because, in part, because a lot of economists suggest that consumption would go up, so the price would go up. So it'd save consumers about $30 for the summer, but cost the govt millions of dollars. I think Obama's position is bold (gas is $3.60/gallon nationally, last I checked). Whether this will go over well with the public, I just don't know. With Indiana and North Carolina primaries coming up soon, it'll be interesting how he does.

BTW, you downloaded well on iTunes this time. Yay!

Anonymous said...

This is in response to the "how to prep for a move to NZ".

Something I found outrageously useful was to come here for a visit and arrange to meet with people who work in your field.

Folks are normally very happy to take the time to sit and have a coffee and give insights into the local scene for people considering the move.

Anonymous said...

A bit off subject, but I was just thinking about how you have said several times that you haven't met many expat Americans since you've been in New Zealand, if you are interested there is a website I was recently introduced to, www.meetup.com, that helps people find others with similar interests. There is a Expat Americans meetup in Auckland and no it's not a dating site nor does it cost money to join most meetups. I have joined a couple over here and they have been fun. I'm not sure if this is your kind of thing, but I thought I'd let you know if you hadn't heard of it. :)

Arthur Schenck said...

Bluboy: Yes, we did like the movie. Not a great film of course, but good entertainment. Sometimes, that's enough.

Roger: Yeah, I don't think the gas tax proposals make any sense. A poll found that 70% of voters thought it was just pandering, so they're on to it. We all know that any tax cut would be wiped out by oil companies raising prices (and profits).

Glad the download worked this time!

Spikey: That's a great idea! I certainly never would've thought of it.

Trillian25: I've heard of them, though they didn't exist when I moved to New Zealand (actually, the Internet barely existed...). As it happens, I started to meet expat Americans once I started the blog and podcast, which has been a nice benefit.

Unknown said...

Hey Arthur-

I do have a couple of contrast questions about NZ and the US; there's a lot in the press there lately about the junior doctors, and there's always crime stories. How would you compare the health care system and the crime rate in NZ to the US?

Thanks again for recommending the King history of NZ; its terrific!

patrick