}

Friday, January 11, 2008

Five go missing

I have to admit that more than 48 hours after my arrival back in New Zealand, I'm getting just a little concerned that my bags are still missing. The picture above shows the status of the search, with text that appears when I hover my mouse over it (I have no idea what the word starting with “f” is, though I'm beginning to think of a few...).

Anyway, those bags contain what I bought in the US (chiefly clothes), what I brought with me to the US (clothes again) and all the possessions I was bringing back with me—you know, the whole reason I went there in the first place. So, I arrived back in New Zealand with less than I left with and nothing connected to the reason for my trip.

Still, hope is not exhausted. Mainly, I have to wait for United Airlines to do their bit (since they're the ones who lost the bags). That obviously takes time. Hopefully, though, not much more time.

4 comments:

lost in france said...

Gee, I truly feel sorry for you, Arthur.

I just hope that you didn't have anything, well, "indelicate" in there!

d said...

Ugh! That is horrible! Anything you can do? Or do you just have to wait?

Siobhan said...

That sucks! A friend of mine just came back from Hawaii and they misplaced his stuff too.

Arthur Schenck said...

I'm pleased to say that this ordeal has ended, and I talk a bit about that in a post today.

LiF: The only indelicate things were my unmentionables, a few too many of which were in the dirty laundry bag (I hope that was one that the TSA opened...).

D: I was wondering the same thing, when it suddenly resolved itself. But apparently the answer is, you have to wait.

Siobahn: This was the first time this has ever happened to me, but I've since heard from many others who've experienced similar things. The taxi driver who delivered my bags told me that they deliver "hundreds" of misplaced bags per day, and I heard that there's been a recent increase in the frequency of lost luggage among people flying into NZ, especially for those like me who transferred from a domestic US flight.