}

Monday, January 29, 2024

Fiji Trip, Part Two

On January 19, the first full day of the Fiji trip, I went and visited the newer building at the resort. These photos are all of the building and from the beach in front, and I’ve captioned each photo.

The new building was built during lockdown, so it’s still quite new. As with the older section, the rooms looked really nice—but if you looked closely, there were things that weren’t exactly perfect. I’ve heard that that in Pacific Island nations it’s common to have buildings built by labourers who aren’t necessarily professional builders, and while that doesn’t mean they got it wrong, it can mean a lack of attention to the finisihing details. Even so, the air conditioning was great—far better than in my room.

I thought that, ignoring finer details, the rooms looked really nice, and so did the pool on the beach side of the building. However, I was told that there were some rough edges in the pool, again indicating the finishing work may have been a bit lacking. Behind the building was a single tennis court, and whenever it rained (every day, in other words…) the surface bubbled up. There was only one time I saw anyone actually use it, and it surprised me: It was for far too hot and humid for me to have even contemplated such a thing.

Having said all of that, the newer building was what many people may think of when they think of a Pacific Island resort, and it really was nice. The older section was nice in its own way, too, and its pool was far more sheltered from the sun than the newer one was.

All in all, it seems to me that it comes down to a matter of personal preference. I liked my room, and the pool area in the older section, but I liked the air conditioning and views at the newer building. Fortunately, for me, I got to experience both.

The newer building as seen from the beach. The blue rectangles either side of the sign are lap pools.


A close up of the end of one of the lap pools.


Looking from the building end toward the sea. That round area in the middle of the pool is seating.


The pool at sunset. It has a soft blue glow at night. This was actually taken January 21.


Back on the beach in front, looking more or less easterly. It's raining at the horizon.


Looking the other way up the beach, back toward the older area. It's raining at that horizon, too.


Previously:
”Travelling gratitude” – After I was home.
Fiji Trip, Part One

2 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

I joked in my blog that I went to France to have something to blog about. Apparently, you went to Fiji for the same reason!

Arthur Schenck said...

It'd be rude NOT to blog! 😁