}

Saturday, August 26, 2023

Time to do it again

It’s that time again: Time for my latest test in the National Bowel Screening Programme, something that’s sent every two years to Kiwis between the ages of 60 and 75 (for Māori and Pasifika people, it’s ages 50 to 75). However, I last did the test back in 2019, and the results were negative. I received my latest kit (above) this past Monday.

However, I didn’t do the test in 2021. I got the kit (and still have it somewhere…), but I think the reason I didn’t do it at the time was because of lockdowns or other Covid-related things going on, and then, as usual, I just plain forgot. This year, though I’m definitely doing it.

One factor that’s still in play is the dwindling number of agents for NZ Post. The company has closed most of their own PostShops, and uses agents for the services they used to provide, and one of three agents in the northwestern part of Hamilton closed last year. Of the two remaining, one is a place I tried to ring NZ Post to complain about, but the wait was too long. That leaves only the other place, so it’ll have to do. The issue is that I need to post the kit back to the ministry of health, and there are very few places to do that any more, the agents probably being the only places where it's possible to post anything.

At any rate, I think the programme is a good idea, and important to poo—I mean, do it…

This is a TV commercial promoting the test that’s been running for about a year:

2 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

I, er, did that for my GI doc this month. This was a first. Take the kit home, then drop off the specimen the next day.

Arthur Schenck said...

We post ours, so there's more of a delay, though my doctor can, potentially, see the results several days earlier than I will—possibly. Last time, my results were posted to me, and our mail is only delivered three business days a week, not including public holidays. Doctors, on thh other hand, get the information electronically.

However, since my last test in 2019, and partly related to changes from Covid, the Ministry of Health has a portal for enrolled folks (basically, anyone who's eligible for our national healthcare system) that let's them log-in and see records of their immunisations. Because the screening programme is conducted by the Ministry of Health, it's possible I may be able to see the results online. Stay tuned, I guess.