}

Monday, August 28, 2023

Good things that happened

I talk on this blog about a lot of things, but when it comes to my own life it’s often just quite ordinary things. This is another of those posts, this one about two good things that happened to me in recent days.

The photo up top is of the sky visible looking out from my patio area late Friday night. I’ve shared plenty of photos of the sky over my neighbourhood, both at night and in the daytime, and that underscores what I think is an interesting fact: Some of the best, prettiest skies I’ve seen have been visible from my house. Every other house has had something really nice about it, and I’ve shot plenty of photos around them and the views visible from them, but for pretty skies, this place has had the best. I have no idea why that is, but it’s certainly a nice thing.

The photo at the bottom of this post is of my first lemon to ripen, and it’ll be ready to pick pretty soon. I bought a lemon tree and a mandarin tree, apparently before Labour Weekend last year. I say “apparently” because in a post about that weekend, I didn’t actually say I’d bought them, I just talked about planting them. At any rate, I couldn’t quite decided what to do with the plants, and I eventually planted them in big plastic pots and put them just outside the patio, on the bark covering the low bank next to it. Such plants can grow well in pots, if they’re big enough, though the lemon can apparently live for some years in a small pot.

I noticed a few weeks ago that the plants looked like they needed a feed, so I bought some citrus food. The label said when to feed the plants and how much, but also said not to fee them over winter. I fed them anyway, and the lemon tree looks much better, the mandarin only someone better. It makes me wonder if I shouldn’t persevere and plant them in the ground, anyway.

Be that as it may, I wasn’t expecting any lemons this year, and even though it’s quite small, it’s definitely welcome. There are two smaller lemons, too, that are nowhere near ripe.

The fact that I’ll soon get my first lemon form the tree is a nice surprise. I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about what to do with the whole yard, something that was probably helped because the relentless rain and frequent cold spells meant I could actually do any work out there, and that kept me from possibly making a bad choice or something. At least, that’s what I tell myself.

Yet another pretty sky over my neighbourhood, and an unexpected lemon may not sound like a big deal, but to me they are. There are things I don’t like about my house or Hamilton generally, sure, and my life’s still at best uncertain, and sometimes it’s a downright mess, but despite all that, there are things about living here that I like, that I think are pretty, that make me smile—or are just nice. We all need good things to happen sometimes, and I have such times, too. I just don’t talk about that often enough. Maybe I’ll change that now. Pretty skies and unexpected lemons are pretty powerful, really.


No comments: