}

Wednesday, December 28, 2022

Productive day

Today I followed through on my imprecise plan: I mowed my lawns. I also did a few other things today. And noticed the sky. It was an okay day.

Yesterday, when I talked about my Christmas, I said that I thought I might mow the lawns in the evening, or else, “another day this week”. In the end, I decided against mowing the lawns yesterday because I decided that one more full day of rest couldn’t hurt.

I went out late this morning, maybe a bit later than I’d hoped, but I realised it’s a good time to go: It’s cooler than it will be in the afternoon, and the sun being relatively hight in the sky means I can fully see what I’m mowing, something that matters because sometimes the weed stalks snap back after the first pass and I need to go over them again.

The cooling and water break I took was shorter than it has been other times in recent weeks, mainly because I didn’t feel I needed a longer break, and because I was keen to beat the afternoon heat. I’m pretty sure that, all up, the job took me much less time than usual, probably because the grass itself wasn’t very long (the weeds were), and because I kept moving.

In any case, I still felt pretty okay when I was done, and after I rested a bit more, I thought about doing a couple other jobs outside, but I didn’t do them: By then it was starting to heat up. There was a brief time, though, when I couldn’t quite figure out what I wanted to do.

I ended up working on some blog posts I’ll publish over the next few days, and before I knew it, it was getting time to make dinner. Well, actually, it was close enough to start making an early dinner, and that seemed like a good idea because I was hungry, and because I thought I might go outside in the evening to work on one of the projects I’d put off this afternoon. I didn’t do that.

However, I did end up going outside to water my plants earlier than normal. One of my tomatoes is starting to ripen (photo below), and I realised that it’s now at the point that I need to water the plants when there’s still enough warmth in the air to dry out the leaves (because I inevitably get water on them).

I usually use a watering can rather than the hose (it feels more precise to me), and while I was filling it up at the outdoor tap, I looked up at the sky (photo up top). I was aware that I was in a bit of shade at the moment, and I looked up to see the clouds floating between me and the sun. I thought it was pretty.

And that was pretty much my day today. It wasn’t unique—just a typical summer day, really. However, after being worried only a few days ago about potential sickness, having a typical summer day was very welcome.

I hope that’ll continue that tomorrow, too.


2 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

What's this? FUTURE blog posts, plural? What kind of person DOES something like that?!

Arthur Schenck said...

Not only that, I did something no one has ever done before: I finished one post well in advance for publication Saturday.