The first song to reach the top of the Billboard “Hot 100” in October 1986 arrived 40 years ago this week. On October 11, 1986, “When I Think of You” (video up top) by American singer Janet Jackson became the new Number One. The song was the third single from Jackson's third studio album, Control.
I didn’t dislike this song—mostly, I thought it was “okay”, which was (and pretty much still is) my non-committal, statement of lukewarm approval. Back in the day, when I saw the video (up top), my original impression was that it reminded me of old Hollywood musicals, but more “inspired by” than being slavish copies. I liked that, but I was nevertheless kind of indifferent to the video. There were other songs (and videos) by Janet Jackson that I liked better than this one—or did I? I haven’t seen the video in a very, very long time, maybe even decades, and it’s not a song I ever randomly hear, like on the radio or even in a TV commercial, so maybe my perception of my 1986 reactions to the song and video were actually different than I remember them being. Maybe, in a case like this, it’s that sometimes absence makes memory grow vaguer?
“When I Think of You” reached Number 53 in Australia, 6 in Canada, 23 in New Zealand, 10 in the UK, and Number One on the USA’s “Billboard Hot 100” and “Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs” charts. It was also Number One on the Cash Box “Top 100” chart. It was certified Platinum in the USA.
The album Control reached Number 25 in Australia, 11 in Canada (Platinum), 5 in New Zealand (Gold), 8 in the UK (Platinum), as well as reaching Number One on the USA’s ”Billboard 200”, “Dance Singles Sales”, and “Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums” charts. It was certified 5x Platinum in the USA.
This series will return in two weeks, on October 25.
Previously in the “Weekend Diversion – 1986” series:
Weekend Diversion: 1986, Part 1 – January 18, 2026
Weekend Diversion: 1986, Part 2 – February 15, 2026
Weekend Diversion: 1986, Part 3 – March 1, 2026
Weekend Diversion: 1986, Part 4 – March 15, 2026
Weekend Diversion: 1986, Part 5 – March 22, 2026
Weekend Diversion: 1986, Part 6 – March 29, 2026
Weekend Diversion: 1986, Part 7 – April 19, 2026
Weekend Diversion: 1986, Part 8 – May 3, 2026
Weekend Diversion: 1986, Part 9 – May 10, 2026
Weekend Diversion: 1986, Part 10 – May 17, 2026
Weekend Diversion: 1986, Part 11 – June 7, 2026
Weekend Diversion: 1986, Part 12 – June 14, 2026
Weekend Diversion: 1986, Part 13 – July 5, 2026
Weekend Diversion: 1986, Part 14 – July 12, 2026
Weekend Diversion: 1986, Part 15 – July 19, 2026
Weekend Diversion: 1986, Part 16 – July 26, 2026
Weekend Diversion: 1986, Part 17 – August 2, 2026
Weekend Diversion: 1986, Part 18 – August 16, 2026
Weekend Diversion: 1986, Part 19 – August 30, 2026
Weekend Diversion: 1986, Part 20 – September 6, 2026
Weekend Diversion: 1986, Part 21 – September 13, 2026
Weekend Diversion: 1986, Part 22 – September 20, 2026
No comments:
Post a Comment