}

Friday, October 18, 2024

A super moon

Last night, many folks in New Zealand were talking about the “Super Moon”, which many feel appears to be bigger and brighter than an ordinary full moon. Scientists say it’s an illusion, and to them, it’s just the perigee syzygy—a full moon at its closest point to the earth during its orbit around us. Not quite as romantic a name as “super moon,” probably.

There have long been claims that a super moon can cause earthquakes and volcanic eruptions, but scientists say the data doesn’t back that up. Coincidence doesn’t necessarily mean causation, of course.

When I went outside last night to take the rubbish wheelie bin to the kerb, the skies were overcast, but there was a bright light in the clouds, which was a little unusual. Even so, I didn’t think anything more about it.

When it was time for bed last night, I stepped outside onto the patio to try to lead Leo outside (which didn't work…). It was fairly bright outside, as it is on nights with a full moon, but not as bright as when there are no clouds. Even so, I looked up, and the photo up top is what I saw.

I don’t think that the moon looked bigger than usual, and not particularly brighter, either. Regardless, I always like seeing the moon lighting up the clouds between us, and I like it even more when it also shines down on my solar panels, too, like it did back in March, and also in September 2023. I was a little less thrilled with the moon’s cloudless visit last month, when its light showed the condensation on my solar panels as the temperature dropped; I don’t like cold temperatures or wintry weather.

But I clearly DO like seeing the full moon and the pretty views when it brings when it visits our night skies. That’s probably super enough for me, even it it’s just the perigee syzygy. A rose by any other name, and all that.

No comments: