}

Sunday, September 01, 2024

Weekend Diversion: 1984, Part 12

A new month, and a new Number One: On September 1, 1984, ”What's Love Got to Do with It” (video up top) performed by singer, songwriter, and actress Tina Turner went to Number One. The song, her only Number One single in the USA, was the third single from her fifth solo studio album, Private Dancer.

One would probably have to have been living under a rock in 1984 to have missed the cultural phenomenon this song and its video were. Turner was 44 when the song was released, making her, at the time, the oldest solo female artist to top the top of the Billboard “Hot 100” (the current “oldest woman to reach Number One” is Brenda Lee, who, at age 78 went to Number One the week of December 9, 2023, with a re-release of her 1958 song, ”Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree”). Back in 1984, I liked the song and video both, and I still do. But one of the things that's stuck with me is that at the time I also noticed that there seemed to be a lot of folks—men in particular—who were surprised that a woman in her mid 40s could be seen as sexy. Mind you, that particular appeal was obviously lost on me, but I nevertheless understood and it frankly baffled me that some men were surprised.

This song was important for Turner because it made her a successful solo artist, something that she’d struggled to achieve until then. The beginning chords of the song were distinctive enough to instantly let listeners know what it was, and the chorus title/became something of a catch phrase, and it was for me, too: I referenced the title (in a different context) in a blog post way back in 2006. The song has stuck with me for 40 years, something that’s not necessarily true of other songs from 1984. The song received three awards at the 1985 Grammy Awards: Record of the Year, Song of the Year, and Best Female Pop Vocal Performance.

Similarly, the music video, directed by Mark Robinson, was also iconic for its time. It went on to win “Best Female Video” at the 1985 MTV Video Music Awards.

I had a copy of Private Dancer on vinyl back in the day, though I think my then-boyfriend may have bought it (that’s the sort of detail I don’t tend to remember). At rate, I no longer have it and haven’t heard the album in many years. It makes me wonder how many other albums I once had and have never replaced.

At any rate, in this case, I liked the song, the album, and the music video—and, in fact, I still do. It’s kind of rare for me to have such a trifecta for a pop song, particularly one that endures for four decades. Tina Turner died on May 24, 2023 aged 83.

“What's Love Got to Do with It” reached Number One in Australia, Number One in Canada (Platinum), 3 in New Zealand (Platinum), 3 in the UK (Silver), and Number One on the USA’s Billboard “Hot 100” and Number 2 on the Billboard “Hot Black Singles” charts, having been blocked from Number One on the latter chart by Prince’s “When Doves Cry” (the subject of Part 10 of this series back in July; Turner’s song was also the Number 2 single of the year, with Prince’s song at Number One). The song was also certified Gold in the USA.

The album Private Dancer reached Number 7 in Australia (Platinum), 2 in Canada (7x Platinum), 2 in New Zealand (Platinum), 2 in the UK (3x Platinum), and 3 on the USA’s “Billboard 200” chart (5x Platinum).

This series will return September 22 with another new Number One, a song that I frankly never think of when I think of 1984. That’s not a reflection on or judgement of the song, it’s just an odd little fact about me. It turns out that I'm a fan of my own trivia. I probably should’ve realised that ages ago.

Previously in the “Weekend Diversion – 1984” series:

Weekend Diversion: 1984, Part 1 – January 21, 2024
Weekend Diversion: 1984, Part 2 – February 4, 2024
Weekend Diversion: 1984, Part 3 – February 25, 2024
Weekend Diversion: 1984, Part 4 – March 31, 2024
Weekend Diversion: 1984, Part 5 – April 21, 2024
Weekend Diversion: 1984, Part 6 – May 12, 2024
Weekend Diversion: 1984, Part 7 – May 26, 2024
Weekend Diversion: 1984, Part 8 – June 9, 2024
Weekend Diversion: 1984, Part 9 – June 23, 2024
Weekend Diversion: 1984, Part 11 – July 7, 2024
Weekend Diversion: 1984, Part 10 – August 11, 2024

4 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

I still have the LP! (of course, I do.)

Arthur Schenck said...

Quite honestly, I'd be more surprised if your didn't.

Roger Owen Green said...

I had to look up yjr next #1. Nope, I forgot about it. The one the week after, though, is SO 1984!

Arthur Schenck said...

Right?! Although, there are more very 1980s songs before this journey is done.