}

Thursday, May 30, 2019

Google Doodle for us, not US?

The picture above is a Google Doodle that appeared on my screen today, and I’m sure it would mystify most Americans. It promotes the ICC Cricket World Cup, currently underway in the UK and Wales. New Zealand, who co-hosted the 2015 World Cup with Australia, is participating, of course.

Cricket is actually played in the USA, mostly, but not exclusively, by expats from various Commonwealth countries. Still, it in the USA, it definitely is what commentators like to call “a minority sport”, and that’s why it’s unlikely that most Americans would have any idea why that Google Doodle was about (the link in the actual Doodle goes to their search page, which includes match results).

The Cricket World Cup is the One Day International (ODI) format, which, in my opinion, is far better than Test Cricket. One the other hand, I haven’t been to an ODI match in so long that I’m not even sure how long it’s been—17 years, maybe? Sheesh!

At least I know what the Google Doodle was about. That’s something, I guess.

No comments: