}

Friday, July 04, 2014

Fourth of July

Today is the fourth day of July in this part of the world. And we all know what THAT means: It falls between July 3 and July 5. No big deal whatsoever, in other words.

Nevertheless, and despite how busy I am with work, I was aware of the day, and I thought about it. Pleasantly.

I had to run some errands today, including a stop at Countdown, which, as luck would have it, added an American products section a few weeks ago. I’d never actually bought anything from that American products section before, and the photo above may, in fact, be the first things I’ve bought from it. You may very well think that, but I couldn’t possibly comment.

I also had a cheese burger (technically called “Beef and Cheese”…) for dinner (U-S-A! U-S-A!), and, um, we also had fish and chips (the proper kind, fresh snapper, none of that frozen shark). It came from what I think is among the best takeaway places there is, The Flaming Onion in Northcote.

So, yeah, kinda American-ish, really. But we’re all far too busy for one of my America-meets-NZ Fourth of July things this year. Maybe next year.

Even so, clearly, you take the boy out of the country (USA), but you can’t take the country (USA) out of the boy…

Happy birthday to my homeland!

1 comment:

rogerogreen said...

Nothing says America like Nabisco treats.