}

Friday, April 06, 2007

AmeriNZ Podcast #2 – Two too

AmeriNZ Podcast #2 is now available, and it's free no matter where you get it from. You can listen to it or download it through the player at the bottom of the post here, or subscribe for free through iTunes here (you must have the free iTunes player installed). You can also listen to it for free through the player on my MySpace page.

Thanks to everyone who downloaded my first podcast—I really appreciate it! Special thanks to those of you who gave me feedback, either through comments here or by email.
This week, it’s a holiday-cast, recorded on a public holiday. The Easter holidays are way different in New Zealand. Shop trading hours are a major one.
Breakfast interview with Ali Clarke, author of Holiday Seasons: Christmas, New Year and Easter in Nineteenth Century New Zealand (Auckland University Press, ISBN 9781869403829). Waikato Times review of the book.
I talk about things that Americans notice, along with some language differences. Do I have an accent? “How to Speak Kiwi” from Kia Ora… Bitches!, the blog of another expat American.
New Zealand National Anthem info is here. My first podcast show notes are here.
A big thank you to these people who’ve been particularly encouraging and supportive:
Kalvin of Hello Waffles (the midwife to my podcast)
Mike Hipp of PodcastSoup.net
Andrew of iSay iSay iSay


Get AmeriNZ Podcast for free on iTunes

5 comments:

Reed said...

I just finished listening to both podcasts and I'm very much looking forward to more.

I've just moved here from Tennessee and you touched on a lot of topics that I've been facing and pondering.

So, thanks.

As for accents, I can very often understand the native Kiwi's. It's the UK folks I have the worst time with.

I also want to 2nd Dawn's comment. I can't claim it was a deciding factor but when I was filling out the immigration forms and saw that my wife would still qualify as my partner even if she was male--well, that told me a lot about NZ. Made me think this would be a place to really live.

Kalv1n said...

I really enjoyed this podcast as well. I think the accent issues are interesting, and I'm surprised that I knew most of the differences. I think the tea thing sounds so quaint.

Thanks for your kind words.

The television thing is something I find particularly fascinating. However, when watching tv last night I felt like there were more advertisements for the network than anything else.

Oh, and why do they call Australia OZ?

Arthur Schenck said...

Spikey: Kia ora, and welcome home! You'll find that the longer you're here the easier it becomes to live here. I don't know that living in NZ will help with UK accents, though: I STILL can't understand everything they say on Coronation Street. Actually, I'm not sure I'd want to...

Thanks for listening!

Kalvin: Glad you liked this episode. I agree about the word "tea" for dinner, but that doesn't make me want to adopt it.

This won't be the last time I mention your podcast. As you know, it's one of my favourites.

Australia is called Oz mainly because Australians pronounce the first syllable so that--in their accent--it nearly rhymes with Oz: Both are kind of an "awz" sound, not "ahz". Similarly, the nickname "Aussie" has no letter "s" but "z", so it's kind of like "awzzie". Does that answer it?

Anonymous said...

Loved the opening of the show. I don't know if I'm spelling it right but do the Mauri get descriminated against at all? or does everyone live together well? I find it odd about the religious holidays. I would love the commercial free TV days here in the states but wonder when I'd stop watching to take a pee. hehehe Oh, and we could use the half flush here too!

Thanks for the kind words. I look forward to Fridays now. :)

Arthur Schenck said...

Glad you liked the show, Archerr! Your podcast has always been one of my favourites, so you can be sure I'll be mentioning yours in the future, too.

The short answer to your question about Maori is yes and yes. I know that sounds like a paradox, but it is just the short answer. At some point I'll go into more detail about this here on the blog and on the podcast, but for now, I'd say the situation could be better, but it's dramatically better than, say, African Americans face in the US.

As for TV, don't worry about getting up to pee: Just because there aren't commercials doesn't mean they don't still put on crap... Hm, maybe an unfortunate choice of words there. Oh well...