}

Tuesday, March 05, 2024

Better morning

The photo above is what I woke up to this morning, and it’s kind of nice waking up and thinking, “Awwwwwww…” first thing. However, it was hard to grab my phone, get it ready to take a photo, and then take it, all using only one hand—while also not disturbing Leo. Or maybe he was just pretending to be asleep because he knows I’m always wanting to take photos of him. Either way, he’s a good boy.

We’d both slept in, as we have the past few mornings, and while Leo is always happy to do that, for me it was that it was raining heavily recent mornings, and I could hear it on the roof over us. It was kind of soothing, since it wasn’t torrential, and there wasn’t any thunder. But once Leo realised I was awake, he decided it was time to for us to get up.

After my first coffee, I decided to make myself a hot breakfast (photo below): Scrambled eggs on toast with thin slices of edam cheese, and garnished with freshly ground salt and pepper, a bit of dill, and some dried parsley from my garden. On the side I had a couple small tomatoes I bought at the supermarket last week.

I recently started sharing food photos again, and the ones I take, even if I never share them, usually have some sort of story behind them. The thing is, in addition to realising that I’d stopped trying new recipes or food experiments, I also realised that I seldom make a cooked breakfast for myself—it’s usually toast or maybe cereal. There’s no reason for that, but I realised it’s something I’d like to do more of, especially because I often have more of a brunch and then dinner later on, but no specific lunch. A little more effort for my first meal of the day, then, can be useful, not just nice to have.

I didn’t share the photo of my breakfast anywhere else, and if my culinary adventures hadn’t all but disappeared, I probably wouldn’t have shared this one, either. But it, along with the photo of Leo up top (which I did share on social media), go to show that I can have an awesome start to an otherwise ordinary day. And having an awesome morning is always something worth sharing.

Photos, though, really are optional.


No comments: