}

Saturday, May 15, 2021

Walking all over my values

It’s not everyday that we get to literally stand on our values. Yesterday I gained to the opportunity to do that figuratively: My new doormat from Don’t Be A Doormat arrived, after months of delays due to Covid-related disruptions, including at the port. But it was worth the wait.

I chose the company because it’s a New Zealand company, first, and because they source the coir mats from ethical sources. The mats don’t use plastics or PVC and are 100% biodegradable. All good things, and together they’re the reasons I chose that company’s products. Less expensive mats from mass retailers usually can’t say any of those things. Personally, I think that upholding my values is worth paying a bit more for something.

I chose that specific design because I liked its friendliness (much better than the yawn-inducing “welcome” on so many doormats…), and it’s something I might actually say—well, think, maybe, but still. I’m very happy with it.

I now have a doormat that I like and my front door looks a little more finished. I also had another opportunity to put my values into action. I like that every bit as much, even if it still only gives me the chance to figuratively stand on my values.

Note: No company or entity provided any support or payment for this blog post, and the product mentioned was purchased by me at normal retail prices. So, the opinions I expressed are my own genuinely held opinions, and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the manufacturers, any supplier, or any known human being, alive or dead, real or corporate. Just so we’re clear.

This post is a revised and expanded version of what I posted on Instagram/Facebook.

No comments: