}

Saturday, January 20, 2018

Birthday eve

Today was my birthday eve. I joke about it, but it’s not actually a “thing” and I don’t take it seriously—except in that it reminds me that the next day is my birthday. Whether that’s a good thing or not depends on the year.

As it happens, today was an ordinary Saturday, with some laundry to do, including hanging washing on the line (like in the second photo in the post the end of December). And then putting some things in the dryer to finish them off (I sincerely hate crispy towels). It was also a very hot day at our house.

My mother-in-law, who is visiting at the moment, made us dinner tonight (vegetarian, even!), so I didn’t even need to do that. I could, however, have a few celebratory wines, since my actual birthday is on a Sunday, and no one has such drinks on a Sunday… well, I could do, of course, but not alone.

We don’t have specific plans for tomorrow, apart from going out for lunch to celebrate my birthday (and obviously that will be blogged and maybe Instagrammed). It’s not a significant birthday this year, and yet, I always celebrate my birthdays because the only way to stop having birthdays isn’t an option. Mind you, some years that’s easier than other years.

We can’t stop time, and we can’t stop birthdays. How we react to those facts is pure choice, in my opinion, and I choose to be positive.

So, I choose to acknowledge my “birthday eve”, even though I don’t take it seriously and it’s just for fun. Isn’t that what birthdays should be?!

2 comments:

Paul Armstrong said...

It's your birthday now so Happy Birthday!!

rogerogreen said...

So it's your birthday in NZ but not yet in IL. I'm so confused.