}

Friday, August 26, 2016

A little good news


There’s always good news about, though we often miss it. From time to time it’s a good idea to take a moment and look for it, but sometimes, it comes to us.

The video above is one of the most recent in the Vlog Brothers series by John Green. It was posted last Wednesday (NZ time), while I was in hospital. So, I missed it and the time, or I’d have shared it then. At any rate, it’s a lot of good news worth sharing (John lists his sources in the YouTube description).

Being a week or so old when I saw it, I might not have shared that video, but then some other recent good news stories I read made me realise they’d all be good to share.

A couple days ago, I read, “A gay couple in Natick [Massachusetts] was targeted. Here’s how the neighborhood responded.” The two things I found remarkable was that an entire neighbourhood rallied around their lesbian neighbours, yes, but more how UN-remarkable is was that they did so. 2016, folks: We ARE making progress.

Then there was the story I read this morning: “Orlando Health, Florida Hospital won't bill Pulse shooting victims”. Orlando Health President and CEO David Strong said:
"The pulse shooting was a horrendous tragedy for the victims, their families and our entire community. During this very trying time, many organizations, individuals and charities have reached out to Orlando Health to show their support. This is simply our way of paying that kindness forward."
This is pretty astounding, but even more so is the hospital’s pledge to help the victims who will need further surgeries.

And if all of that isn’t good news, I don’t know what is.

No comments: