}

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

They teach me

Recently I turned off word verification for comments on this blog. Since then, a steady stream of spam comments have cluttered my email inbox, as I complained about last month. Mostly, all of this is annoying, but sometimes it’s funny:

“Friend sent me the link to your site, appearance nice, I added you to my favorites”. Nice of the friend. Wonder if s/he visits the same illicit sites you promote?

“I was curious if you ever considered changing the structure of your blog? Its [sic] very well written; I love what youve [sic] got to say. But maybe you could a little more [sic] in the way of content so people could connect with it better. Youve [sic] got an awful lot of text for only having one or 2 pictures. Maybe you could space it out better?” This was added to a post of 142 words. Apparently, “an awful lot of text” is highly subjective. Now I know.

“hi its [sic] my bro’s site just say paul [sic] told to ring and to look after you” What, precisely, is your “bro’s” site, who’s “paul” and why was he told to ring and look after me? Is he cute?

“Attention you room-mate [sic] object of your post. It helped me alot [sic] in completing my work.” I don’t have a “room-mate”, or a flatmate, as we say in New Zealand, I have a partner—a husband, even. He was not mentioned in the post at all, of course. But hey, if you found the post useful, well, good.

Why would I care about “mechanical bull riding,” and why would posting it to several posts over a few days make me think later attempts weren’t spam?

“A good friend asked me and my friends where exactly may easily procure [sic] premium quality [redacted] in [a place in an Eastern US state]? Soon after a great deal of exploration, I found the best [redacted] in [a different Eastern US state]. These products are fabricated out of material and booked in plenty of different kinds and lengths and widths.” Considering they appear to be talking about potentially lethal “party pills”, the “plenty of different kinds of lengths and widths” seems especially weird. So is their geography. Nevertheless, a version with slightly different wording was added to the spam queue the next day. It was to my same older post, but the “good friend” had become “an acquaintance”. I wonder what happened overnight?

I found these recent spam comments funny, but the majority pledge access to photos of nekkid famous people or are in Russian (one was in Italian). Blogger’s ardent and vigilant spam filters have caught them all, but I still need to delete them manually.

Perhaps this is for the best. You never know when a famous nekkid Russian-speaking party pill seeker in an eastern US state will have advice on how I should structure my blog. Because they’d know all about that, obviously.

No comments: