}

Monday, February 01, 2016

Small tooth tale

Last Friday, I had an appointment with the hygienist at the periodontist’s office. For a variety of reasons, I couldn’t blog about it at the time, and then I forgot about it. It’s only a small update, but it’s important to keep the story intact.

The appointment went well: The hygienist didn’t have any major problems, and that’s despite an uneven home routine due to illness and the disruption of the holidays. She also mentioned that just because they have to do extensive work with picks and drill-like things, that’s not a reflection on the patient: Within 24 hours, she said, bacteria starts to harden on teeth if it’s not removed, and the reality is that the only way to keep it away is to see a hygienist. I mentioned to her that including seeing the dentist every six months, I’d be quite happy to see some dental health professional every three months to keep all this under control. I haven’t endured all this to go backwards!

I was the last appointment of the day, it turned out (a Friday in summer—I don’t blame them!). I made an appointment for a check-up with the periodontist for May, and I was on my way.

While I was at that appointment, the orthodontist rang to schedule an appointment (I had my ringer switched off, so I got the message once I got back to my car). I rang back once I got home, but they’d already closed.

Meanwhile, I re-scheduled this week’s dentist appointment that was this week to next week: I forgot that I return to work this week, and wouldn't be able to get away (particularly because this is a short week with the holiday today).

And, that’s it: No dramas at all this time, and things continue to go well. I have so many other things to work on, things that don’t involved teeth, but at least this is going well.

The image above is a reproduction from the 20th US edition of Gray's Anatomy, and is in the public domain. It is available from Wikimedia Commons.

No comments: