}

Wednesday, September 01, 2021

Spring 2021

I’m not sure, but this may be the most excited I’ve ever been about a first day of Spring. I’ve absolutely hated this past winter—cold, wet, rainy, or, to put it simply, absolutely everything I hate about winter in the upper North Island. Last winter was much milder, and it apparently lulled me into overconfidence.

Winters in the Waikato are usually much more unpleasant than in Auckland. For that reason, every time Nigel talked about moving to Hamilton, I always insisted we had to have central heat and even underfloor heating in some critical areas. It gets bloody cold in Hamilton. Normally.

Last year, however, was an extremely mild winter, so much so that I didn’t ever think about how unpleasant Hamilton winters can be. This year fixed that. Many times over.

I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve sat at my computer freezing, or sat watching TV with a blanket over my lap, or gone to bed asking one of the dogs to cuddle up against me to keep me warm (Leo usually obliges). Harsh fact: I never felt that cold in Auckland.

On the other hand, Auckland has had harsher Covid Lockdown levels than Hamilton has had, and sometimes that matters—but, does it really matter for me? I don’t go to all that many places, anyway. (it’s important to note that when I lived in Auckland I used to go to several of the places of interest in the latest outbreak, so if I lived there, I could’ve been caught up in it).

Right now, I just want even slightly warmer weather (I’m sick of being cold in my own home), and I want more sunshine so I can mow the lawns and get the gardens ready for Spring planting. And that right there may be why I’m the most excited I’ve ever been about a first day of Spring. I hope it’s a good one.

2 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

Happy spring.
It was pouring in ALB last night, the result of Ida, the former hurricane that hit Louisiana a couple of days ago.

Arthur Schenck said...

The extensive flooding in the eastern USA has made the new here. Really sad to see.