}

Saturday, December 19, 2020

A ‘memory’ about trust

Today, like nearly every other day, Facebook served up some of what it calls, “Memories”. They can make me happy, sad, or reflective, but to be honest, the vast majority of the time they make me go, “meh.” Today’s was a more reflective one.

Three years ago today I went to the doctor for a routine check-up and prescription renewal, and dutifully did my “check in” on Facebook. In 2017 I wrote:
Time for quarterly check & prescription refill. This will probably be my last time here—an hour and half drive to get here, at least an hour drive back home, it’s time to find a new doctor closer to home. Not looking forward to THAT!!
I’ve changed doctors twice since I posted that, and both times I was slow to do it because, as I said in a reply to my sister’s comment on the original Facebook post, I have to trust my doctor. That’s mattered a lot to me in recent years. Still, it was necessary because of that long drive caused by the exasperating convergence of Auckland’s notoriously bad traffic congestion and road construction on my only route there. I just couldn’t see driving that long/far if I was feeling sick.

The first doctor I changed to was the closest to our house, and was very kind. She also treated Nigel at the very end, sending him to hospital the first time and then dispatching the practice nurse to see him at our home on the day he went hospital for the last time. That doctor and I had an unusually personal bond because of all that. Even so, after I shifted to Hamilton, that doctor was also more than an hour’s drive away, and I needed a new doctor again.

My current doctor was recommended to me by my brother-in-law, and I’ve seen him a few times now. My medical needs now are mainly about maintenance (which is a relief!), but I knew I could trust my new doctor from the very beginning: His name’s Nigel.

Sometimes it’s the simplest things that matter the most, like being free to choose a doctor based on trust. The fact he’s called Nigel is just a bonus. Today’s Facebook Memory left me a bit more reflective than usual, but it also made me realise that at the moment I’m very happy with my healthcare arrangements. That matters a helluva lot, too.

This is a revised version of something I posted to my personal Facebook this morning.

No comments: