}

Monday, April 13, 2020

Today’s lockdown adventure

Today I tried making soda bread for the first time. I needed to make a "quick bread" because I don't have any yeast. It kind if reminds me of a giant scone, which I guess it basically is, really.

The recipe I used adds sugar, and a bit too much, in my opinion. I didn't have any buttermilk (and never do unless I make a special trip), so I used cream of tartar to acidify ordinary milk, and the texture of the bread turned out about right. Actually, all things considered, it's surprisingly okay!

My original plan for lockdown was to make bread at home in the breadmaker, but I couldn't get any yeast beforehand because the supermarket had already been ransacked (just kidding, kind of—actually, they were completely sold out of flour, too). I placed an order today for delivery of a rather huge bag of flour and more yeast than I'd normally buy, so I'll definitely be using the breadmaker!

I had to prop it up on the bread knife because I couldn't cut it straight. Of course.

No comments: