}

Monday, May 06, 2019

Gardening work


The Instagram caption above tells the story: Our tomato plants are still producing, much longer than they’ve lasted any other year (last year it was all over, and the plants dying, by the end of March). I have no idea why that’s happening, however, we bought the plants this year rather than grow them from seed—but we have in previous years, too.

The spot where the tomatoes are growing is warm and sunny, so maybe that accounts for some of it? No idea, but it’s kind of fun watching what happens.

Meanwhile, we now have a dilemma: How much effort do we put into keeping the plants going? This month is mid-Autumn, and this can’t go on much longer, not with colder weather and shorter days. We can’t make it into a hot house at this stage, but maybe we could cover it with frostcloth at night to keep it warmer over night. Or, is there even any point? We’ve never been in this position before.

Meanwhile, we have some flax plants that are growing in front of the house, and they’re now too big, growing up in front of my office window, blocking daylight. That window faces 140º SE (which I know I thanks to an App on my phone…), so it doesn’t get any direct sunilight; the main daylight is reflected from the neighbour’s house, and there’s less of that this time of year, so it’s much more noticeable.

So, I want to dig up the flax, divide it, and re-plant it along the back fence, in an area we want to keep the dogs away from (Leo sometimes goes there to bark at a neighbour’s dog). I’ve never done that before. So, I’ve been doing my Internet research on how to do it, and I’ll try it soon.

Then, the question will be, what do I plant there to replace the flax? I’m not good at garden design, so I’ll have to get some advice.

All of that will be a project, and the subject of a blog post about it, hopefully by the middle of this month so all the plants gets a chance to settle down before winter (mild though it is) and be ready for Spring growth.

In the meantime, I have got some other, smaller projects that we did but that I haven’t gotten around to blogging about. Those posts will probably come first, especially because there may be rainy days before I finish the flax project.

I think I'd better rest up.

Related:

"Productive holiday weekend"
– When we planted the tomatoes.
"The tomatoes are growing" – The plants were growing well by December.
"Photo Trial" – They were even the subject of a photo experiment.

No comments: