}

Friday, November 25, 2016

OK Go Walk Her Walk


I’ve always liked the music videos from OK Go: They’re visually interesting, often amazing in how they’re done, and just plain entertaining. This one for their new song, “The One Moment”, is a little different: It’s trying to help raise awareness of people working to make the world a better place.

The video is a collaboration with Morton Salt (of all things) and their Walk Her Walk initiative. “Inspired by the iconic Morton Salt Girl,” they say, “Walk Her Walk is a promise to make a positive impact on the world. It’s not enough to talk about making a difference. We intend to make one.”

The company goes on to highly five very organisations, and they also promote “Giving Tuesday” on November 29, a day in which people are encouraged to “give back” to their communities (and sort of a human and humane antidote to the crassness of "Black Friday" and "Cyber Monday").

All of which is great. I know that there will inevitably be critics on the Left and Right who will snipe and snark about it, for their own personal reasons, but I’m a bit more relaxed than they are: I’ve always been much more interested in moving us all forward and making the world a better place than I am in what’s in the soul of the person doing the good work.

I liked this video as I have so many others by OK Go (I posted one back in mid-2014, too). I also liked the song on first hearing, though it’s too soon for me to know if I’ll like it longer term, obviously. The thing is, I like what I like and I don’t really try and analyse things too much, nor do I care whether anyone else likes it or not—Arthur’s Law, and all that.

It's okay for a video and song to just be what they are, after all.

No comments: