}

Sunday, November 20, 2016

Near catastrophe


A couple days ago Bella was outside with me, rolling around on the concrete, looking very cute and playful. So, I decided to play with her. That seemed like a good idea at the time, but the healing scratch on my hand in the photo above may suggest otherwise. It wasn’t actually bad, though.

I didn’t feel the scratch at the time, and a little while later it was itchy, which made me think to myself, “uh, oh…” I washed my hands thoroughly (because cat claws have bacteria and such) and that was that. While it’s getting better, it actually looks worse now than it did the first day or so.

The truth is that Bella has often been inclined to scratch me when playing, so I’m very careful about letting my hands get near her claws. But we had them trimmed recently because she’d been scratching herself until she bled. I now know that her scratches actually look worse with dulled claws than fully sharp ones. On the other hand, if they’d been normally sharp, I’d have had puncture wounds, so I guess that’s something.

But this just goes to show that it’s really just normal, day-to-day life again. After all the bad stuff that’s happened over the past week and a half or so, I’ll take it. Sometimes having normal, day-to-day life is exactly what we need to strengthen us for the many battles ahead.

Scratches are optional.

2 comments:

Arthur Schenck (AmeriNZ) said...

Yes, he who shall not be named.

rogerogreen said...

I'd make the obvious musical reference except that it's from Ted Nugent!