}

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

What SHE said


This video from Jackson Pearce says what I think about the chick-fil-a “controversy” in the US. She points out and skewers the blatant (and sickening) hypocrisy of “Christians” on the far right who use their religion to justify bigotry and hatred.

So, she proposes a way to put them to the test, to see if they really stand for “biblical principles”, by testing their adherence to Proverbs 25:41. I’d be curious to see what happens.

Below is her follow-up video, which further explains the issues involved and also deals to some of the reflexive comments she got from people who apparently didn’t watch or understand the first video. It, too, is a good video. In these two videos, she absolutely nails the arguments.

When I see things like this from straight allies, it gives me hope for the future. Younger people like her are far more caring and inclusive than are people in my own generation or older. Still, we, too, are far more human and humane than we’re given credit for, so I hope we see more straight allies of all ages speaking out for what’s right, standing up to the voices of bigotry and hatred.

Younger folks like Jackson Pearce set that bar pretty high. We should all try to rise to that level.

2 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

I must say that I don't believe I've ever been to a Chick-Fil-A. There's one in Nashua, NH and another in Paramus, NJ, some 120 miles away.
The company advertises (or sponsors, more properly) programs on PBS, so I get to see plugs for them on nearly a daily basis.

Which begs a more fundamental question - should PBS refrain from taking their money? THAT would be a double-edged sword, for sure, and much tougher for PBS, who would take flak from Congress for being "political" and could lose MORE funding.

Arthur Schenck said...

I don't have a problem with PBS taking their money. The issue has always been the unsavoury groups that get the money. And, anywy, it's better than how the Vatican would accept money from the mafia, arguing that they were makng it holy. At least Chick-fil-a isn't a criminal organisation, even if their hubris is criminal.