}

Monday, January 12, 2009

Meta Monday

This is the sort of thing only hardcore bloggers will care much about, but I just finished updating my blogrolls (“Bevy of Blogs” and “Parade of Podcasts”). Blogger provides a widget thingee to make that easy, but its functions are limited. Besides, I need to keep lists here and on my podcast site.

So, I typed up the lists and did the HTML coding (which isn’t nearly as clever as that sounds), and those lists are now on this blog. One advantage in doing this is that I was able to change the behaviour of the links. Using the Blogger widget thingee, the link would open in the same tab/window as my blog, replacing it. One doesn’t want to easily give up readers, so I added a target tag to make them open in new a tab/window. I could also add a title (what you see when the mouse hovers over the link, like for the link to my podcast under “Parade of Podcasts”), but decided against it in the end. Yes, I know all of that’s easy to do on WordPress, but this is a Blogger blog.

Speaking of tags and such, I posted about that back in November.

Anyway, This also means that I need maintain only one list for both sites. I like that.

I link to blogs and podcasts that link to me, or ones that don’t, but that I like anyway. If you link to me and you’re not listed, please let me know: Chances are good that either I don’t know about your link or I made a mistake typing up the list. If you don’t link to me, but would like to trade links, let me know; there aren’t many sites for which I wouldn’t go along with a link exchange.

And finally, just because this bugs me, I received an email from our ISP at 4:50pm today telling me there would be a “planned outage” between 7:30pm and 9:30pm today! Doesn’t sound like it was all that well “planned”, after all. So, no Internet (or phone) for us this evening—what will I do?!

5 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

I'm part of a bevy! I'm touched.

epilonious said...

"So, no Internet (or phone) for us this evening—what will I do?!"

Open wikipedia, search for 'bunnies'...

d said...

I say snuggle with your honey and perhaps play a game? Video game, board game..

Anonymous said...

"widget thingee"; now that's meta :)

Arthur Schenck said...

Roger: Not many of us get to part of a bevy! That name came about because I'd already come up with "Parade of Podcasts"and I wanted something similarly alliterative. This was much better than the old name: "Blogs I read". Yech!

Epilonious: Um, don't you need an Internet connection for Wikipedia? Or has all that fund-raising allowed them to achieve true ubiquity?

D: In the end, Nigel worked on his laptop and I watched TV. The "planned outage" lasted about 20 minutes…

Frank: I always prefer to use the correct, technical terms… ;-)