}

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Bush to sneak in homophobe

Bush is about to strike again, using a recess appointment to install arch-homophobe James Holsinger as Surgeon General (via Joe.My.God). Holsinger will be able to serve in the position until the end of 2008.

Holsinger gained notoriety for writing an incredibly stupid paper in which he claimed, among other things, that—like plumbing—humans only “fit” one way (male and female), sexually speaking, and anything else would inevitably lead to disease (no, I'm not making that up). He also founded a church, part of which is dedicated to the “ex-gay” scam.

Some would argue that recess appointments are a well-used tactic by presidents, and that's true. But using it to install as surgeon general a spectacularly unqualified, bigoted ideologue who couldn't win Congressional confirmation is as underhanded as it is despicable. But, then, we can expect nothing else from Bush.

Meanwhile, the US has set new records for sexual infections among heterosexuals. Apparently Holsinger will need a new plumber.

Related: My earlier post on Holsinger.

4 comments:

d said...

I think if I was still living in the US, I'd have a stroke.

Instead, I have to repeat my mantra: "I left the country...I left the country...I left the country..."

Arthur Schenck said...

Nothing about these buffoons surprises me anymore.

Unknown said...

Gotta love this:

Harry Reid has left the Senate in a "pro forma" session during the Thanksgiving break, thereby blocking any attempt by President Bush to make any recess appointments, including this one.

Here's the story on cnn.com. Yeah, I know you have issues with them, but still...

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/11/19/senate.reid/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

The Democratic Party is finally beginning to play some hardball...

Arthur Schenck said...

That's good news, David! About time the Democrats grew a spine!

I don't actually dislike CNN any more than any of the other mainstream news media, but I'm certainly not above rubbing their nose in it when they get it wrong.

The only news outlets I detest are the far right fringe ones, like Faux News and the "Washington Times," outlets that are unfair, unbalanced and ideologically-driven. Hm, that's actually a pretty long list these days...