}

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Jake's adventure

Yesterday, Jake had “the surgery”, and everything went well. I took him there about quarter to nine and he received a check-up and I was given options for 2 different blood tests as well as intravenous solutions during surgery. I thought this was really weird: The tests would make sure everything was working properly (kidney, liver) and the intravenous solution would keep him from dehydrating, and it would make recovery faster. Why on earth would anyone not choose these? Just because of cost?

I chose everything because I wanted him to be as safe as possible. Cost, at that point, wasn't a real consideration. If I couldn't afford it, I'd have waited until I could. His needs come first in this instance. Actually, the more thorough blood tests I chose also set a reference point so they can determine what's normal for Jake in the future, so that's an added benefit of the more expensive option.

The vet took my contact phone numbers, and I told her to please make sure that it was known how important it was that someone rang me as soon as Jake was in recovery. I explained how we'd lost our previous dog a few months ago, and our cat just a month ago, and so I'd be worrying until I got the call. As I told her this, I felt myself tearing up, which surprised me, but I was determined I wouldn't start crying, and I didn't.

Just as I was about to leave Jake with the vet, the alarm went off for a fire drill. It added just the right element of farce to the events to take the edge off the seriousness I was feeling.

True to her word, the vet rang me as soon as Jake woke up after surgery. Everything went well. I picked him up around 4.30, and he seemed somewhat indifferent to me, an after effect of the anesthetic, as he was pretty laid back generally. That evening his behaviour was exactly as they'd said it would be.

This morning he was much brighter, almost back to normal. But he's clearly still a little subdued (he's sleeping at my feet under my desk as I write this). He goes back in two weeks to have his stitches out.

This is one of those things that responsible dog owners need to do, both for the benefit of the animal and for society generally. All other things being equal, it wouldn't have been a very big deal, and it only was one because of our recent losses. So I'm probably as glad as he is that it's over.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so glad to hear jake's op went well - doyle is booked in for his on the 19th, we too are nervous!! keen for any tips advice arthur that may make it a bit easier for the wee boy