}

Sunday, September 02, 2007

Toilet humor

It's fair to say that Larry Craig has become the, uh, butt of a lot of jokes, partly for making such a dick of himself. Okay, I'll stop now. But Craig has added the punchline to the joke he's become by quitting Congress.

Larry Craig's voting record was the same as any homophobic wingnut, so in that sense I couldn't care less that he's leaving. After all, Idaho Governor Butch Otter (I admit it: I giggle every time I hear that name) will apoint another Repubican who, odds are, will vote every bit as badly as Craig.

Craig's hypocrisy is obvious, but the Republican hypocrsy has taken my breath away (or, it would have if I didn't expect hypocrisy from Congressional Republicans). JoeMyGod quotes Matt Foreman of America's National Gay & Lesbian Task Force (NGLTF) as saying:

Let’s see — one Republican senator is involved in soliciting sex from a man and the Republican leadership calls for a Senate investigation and yanks the rug from underneath him. Another Republican senator admits to soliciting the services of a female prostitute and there’s not only no investigation but the senator is greeted with a standing ovation by his Republican peers. What explains the starkly different responses? I’d say rank and homophobic hypocrisy.

I couldn't possibly agree more.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also read that the difference in responses was due to the fact that the senator who solicited the prostitute would have had his replacement chosen by a Dem. governor, whereas Craig will be replaced by a Rep. gov. But I'm sure that's not the only reason for the different reactions.

By the way, I saw this link where you select topics and statements you agree with and they rate all the candidates by how closely they match your responses...
www.myelectionchoices.com/survey/start.cfm

Arthur Schenck said...

You're probably right about the governor thing, but probably in the sense that the Republicans in the Senate could afford to be grandiosely self-righteous because they knew they'd just get another one of them once Craig was gone.

I'll have to check out that website, though I suspect I already know the answer.

Anonymous said...

"the Senate could afford to be grandiosely self-righteous because they knew they'd just get another one of them once Craig was gone."

yes, exactly.