}

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

AmeriNZ #11 – I’m still here

Episode 11 is now available, and it's free no matter where you get it from. You can listen to it or download it through the player at the bottom of the post here, or subscribe for free through iTunes here (you must have the free iTunes player installed). You can also listen to it for free through the player on my MySpace page.
This is a short episode, because I’m running out of bandwidth (resets around the 23rd), and also because I’m talking about the sudden death of our dog this past Friday. I explain how Saibh (rhymes with “five”) fit into our lives, and some of what she meant to us. In some ways we’ve been through this before, but this feels more intense. We’re trying to adjust.
The paraphrase I read from November 1998:
What is it about these small, furry animals that they become such an integral part of our lives that we feel their deaths as keenly as if they were human? Some people—including many at work, no doubt—would say it’s just because they’re obviously part of daily routines and rituals. If that’s all it was, we’d miss a toaster when it failed. Anyone who’s ever had a pet knows that they’re so much more than an animal sharing a living space and daily routine. They’re as much a part of us, "as if they were human”.

To avoid ending on a down note, there’s a competition for Kiwi shoe polish that will give away a trip for two to New Zealand. You can enter here.

At right is the album art that was supposed to accompany this podcast (I didn't realise that podomatic overrides other settings).

Please leave a comment, or send an email to me at
amerinz[at]yahoo.com


Get AmeriNZ Podcast for free on iTunes

10 comments:

CondoBlogger said...

A very nice eulogy for Saibh. While you talked about the possibility of adopting another dog someday I started to wonder if there is a pet population problem in NZ like there is in the states. Are animal shelters as common there as they seem to be here?

As for the KIWI Sweepstakes... the rest of you shouldn't even bother entering... I've already decided that I will be winning. Good luck anyway though.

Anonymous said...

I hope your bandwidth updates soon. I can understand how you feel about podcasting when you've lost your companion animal. I like that discription of a pet. It's so true. I'm thinkin about ya.

My father used to use Kiwi shoe polish on his military shoes when I was younger. I remember that stuff.

Kalv1n said...

It's still so sad to hear about your experience. I really was touched by your letter. I would imagine that it will certainly take time to adjust. I think they truly are family members. I wish I had read how to pronounce the name with your "five" thing, and that would have helped. That whole bandwidth is annoying. I don't know if I can recommend going pro or if you should just move to libsyn. Hmmm...I would hope that you're able to figure that out easily. Warmest of internet hugs to you.

xoxoxoxo

Kalvin

Nik-in-Paris said...

Hello Arthur, I would like to send you some warm thoughts from over here on the other side of the world. I can well believe losing the company of an animal is similar to losing a close loved one.

I wish you and your partner all the best in adapting over the next few weeks.

Take care, Nik

Anonymous said...

Best wishes to you both. Everyone I know takes their animal deaths almost as hard as that of a human friend.

I do think you ought to consider adopting another pet. Everyone's heart is big enough to accommodate the addition of a new, furry one. We've lost two favored felines and have replaced them with three more.

Tim Corrimal said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of Saibh. I know exactly how you feel. We lost our last kitty of 18 years in April of last year. And over a year later, the house still feels empty. In many ways, they are like our kids. I liked your description of Companion rather than pet. Good to hear you have bandwidth again.

ReMARKable Palate said...

My condolences to you on your loss. As you know, Stiva is a HUGE part of my life, so I really know how important our companions are. You hit it on the nail in the way you expressed that they aren't people, but they are important to us. but like people, they live inasmuch as you remember them.

Arthur Schenck said...

Thank you all so much for your comments and your kind thoughts. I've responded in Episode 12, but I'll get back to responding on the blog, too.

Matthew Couk said...

Hey There, I was listening to your back shows and heard this one. I lost my companion "Audrey" last year and still have not come to full terms with it. Some people may not undertand the grip these little ones have on our hearts, but I know what you went through/are going through.

Arthur Schenck said...

Thanks, Matthew. From what you wrote on your blog, I can tell that Audrey was special, too.